Friday, December 11, 2009
Ok for one, I really wanted to know after making the commitment of donating 100,000 grains of rice, as to how much rice that actually was; so I did. According to Producer's Rice Mills, (http://www.producersrice.com/rice/facts.html), there are over 29,000 grains in a pound of rice. By donating 100,000 grains, I will be donating approximately 3 and a half pounds which is actually pretty damn good since I get full off of like, I don't know, a cup of uncooked rice... so YEAY!! I was worried that there was going to be something like 250,000 for a pound and so donating all these grains wouldn't be as "fruitful", if you will, than I would have liked...
Sooo, that being said, I have to date, donated another 7,000 grains of rice (Troyskis helped with about 1,000 because we were battling to show off our wits HA!)
I have watched another 4 movies for my 26 movies from A through Z!! I guess I’ll go in alphabetical order…
G – G.I. Joe blah blah blah – there’s more to the title, but I can’t remember it. Rise of the Cobra or something. Regardless, yeah yeah, it’s not random like it’s supposed to be, but to be honest, I probably wouldn’t have watched it if not for Troy so whatever; random enough… The movie was ok, some of the fight scenes were pretty cool and there were a few moments that made me laugh pretty hard, buuuut, godamn with the corny one-liners. They kill me… and this movie is full of them (i.e. When all else fails….. (wait for the pause)…… we don't.) Kills me…
K – Kiss Kiss Bang Bang – I was nervous this movie was going to be the typical murder mystery blarg… and this seemed to be the case for the first couple of minutes of narrative monologue before the jokes started coming fast and furious. This turned out to be a highly entertaining comedy/buddy film couched in a tongue in cheek film noir setting. The dialogue was witty and the chemistry between Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmour was great. Some of the jokes went by so fast that I'll have to see this movie again to see what I missed as I was still laughing at the previous one. The ending was kind of, um, not-believable and made you kind of go, “yeahhhh ok”, but the jokes made up for it… I laughed hard.
P – The Proposal – I was partially forced into watching this by Troyskis’ mom who insisted is was hysterical and wonderful. I would tone it down a little to mildly humorous and cute. However, there was one scene that had me in tears. Picture Sandra Bullock trying to do a Native American chant with “grandma” and she doesn’t know what to chant so she starts chanting …”to the windows… to the walls… (waiiiitttt for it!!!!!!) …till the sweat drips down my balls!!! …till all these bitches crawl!!!” I lost it. I couldn’t believe she went there and it was fabulous. I watched that scene again about 5 times and even showed it to the Skis… the ending was very cliché and blah blah blah happy ending. Fart.
S – The Snow Queen – Now this was not what I expected AT ALL. It was produced by the BBC Channel and it was made in a way that I have never seen before. It was almost animated but with real people and cut out scenery from a magazine. Cute but realllly slow moving and too childish – even for me. OH! And the weirdest part was that during many of the scenes there was no talking, but children singing what was going on in the scene. Kinda weird… but overall, an ok movie. I may or may not have fallen asleep before it finished… whoops.
I also finished two more novels!! =) The first was:
The Kitchen God’s Wife by Amy Tan – This is Amy Tan's second novel, after the hugely successful 'Joy Luck Club'. It is a much heavier novel than Joy Luck, mainly because it is influenced by the true life story of Daisy Tan, Amy's mother, who had many terrible experiences in China before immigrating to America and establishing the family Amy Tan grew up in. The book's main theme is a mother- daughter relationship, rather dysfunctional, which we discover is due to complete misunderstanding and a number of deceptions. Winnie, the mother, has kept secrets from her daughter, Pearl, for over forty years and it is only under the threats of Auntie Helen, an annoying but lovable family friend that she decides to tell all to Pearl. Winnie's story is a harrowing one, including physical and emotional abuse, war, death of loved ones, prison... it's even more harrowing when you realize it's based on a true story. As in all good stories, true or not, the end is at least partly happy: mother and daughter grow closer or at least respect each other more, and the book ends on a positive note.
The book is well written and compelling, taking the reader through a variety of emotions as the story unfolds. From pre-revolution China, through the Sino-Japanese War, and eventually modern day America, the reader laughs and cries together with Winnie and Pearl. An incredible book, highly recommended. A-
The Concubine’s Daughter by Pai Kit Fai - The Concubine's Daughter is part history, part romance, part drama, part legend, part martial arts, part tragedy, and part poem. Li-Xia is born the daughter of a concubine on a spice farm in early 1906. An unwanted child, her father tried to rid himself of her but her life was spared when her father believed he saw a fox fairy. In the attempt, her mother tragically dies. And so Li-Xia grows, is sold off the farm to a silk farmer, and learns to gather silk cocoons, spin silk thread and makes friends. All the while, she years to be a scholar, as her mother saw herself a scholar. She treasures her mother's diary, filled with poems and "pieces of gold." In an amazing turn of fate, Li-Xia eventually finds her path to gold, and bears a daughter, however, at the birth of her daughter, they are parted. The daughter, Siu-Sing is raised far from the place where her mother found her peace and stillness. She is raised in the art of The White Crane by a learned sifu and faces a deadly nemesis her entire journey. Along the way, she has to fight her way out of being sold into slavery, being sold into an opium den and surviving with her bare wits. She has to face her mortal enemy, her past, and find love. What I enjoyed most about this novel was the attention to detail. Bowls of seasoned congee for breakfast. Learning about the sung-tip contracts for girls. The corruption of Shanghai and Kowloon and Macau power triads. The gentle play of history over the forward motion of the story. The social classes and disdain for interracial marriage. The gritty feel of absolute slavery. The lavishness of riches and power. I absolutely adored this book. A+
OH BOY!! Well, I have got to go – more to come soon =)
Monday, October 26, 2009
First, and MOST excitedly, I released one of my books "into the wild" via real life and bookcrossing.com. I went on my lunch break and went to the park that I normally go to to read on my lunch break and had a lovely time starting my new book. When I had about 20 minutes to get back to the office, I pulled my book (Private Papers of Eastern Jewel - most recently on my 100 books to read list) out of my purse and left it on the bench for a stranger to find... I don't know why, but I felt like 007. I didn't want anyone to see me leave it... even though it was probably obvious that I was either doing something bad like a 6 year old would, or I was leaving a bomb... either way here's photos =)
As stupid as this may sound... I CANT WAIT to see who found it and their story... goddamn I hope they read it quick because I have the patience of a fruitfly.
In other not so exciting news... I did a hair mask - task completed. And to be honest, my hair feels GREAT - Nutrogena and totally worth the 10 bucks I paid for it.
Lastly, one more thing that made my day a happy one =) I watched another random movie for my A-Z list!! It is a Japanese Animation movie called the Cat Returns. It was totally cute and entirely enjoyable. It reminded me of my obsession with cats so it made me feel normal... and happy. I would reccomend it to anyone who loves cats... or japanese animation... or wants to feel good and get a giggle because it was great =) way better than I expected. I give it an A =)
Ok, it's late and I have to go to bed to prepare myself for another funfilled day at the office tomorrow... yeay.
Sunday, October 25, 2009
First off, my car was fine all along. The Troyskis took a wee gander this morning and it started fine... what happened? Who knows. Troyskis' diagnosis - "it got wet". What that really means, I don't know. I've driven through puddles the size of Wyoming... but we get a little rain shower and the bugger won't start. Annyyywho - all is well now.
As for accomplishments:
Save $2 a day during this 1001 days - I offically opened another savings account into which I transferred $14 for this first week. I don't know yet if this is how I am officially going to do this, but it got me started.
Christmas cards - I got an email from snapfish saying if I order holiday cards before the 10/31, I can get free shipping. That was all I needed. I created little Christmas cards with cute pictures of my new little family that consists of Troyskis, myself, Malichai, Little-face, and Warrior. Bottom line: to die for. I should be getting them shortly and be on my way to sending and spreading Holiday cheer and all that good shit =)
Lastly, I also bought a Monday through Friday old person pill box thang. I also got a whole bunch of vitamins that should hopefully keep the ol' swine flu from entering my body and making me miserable. Hopefully, I will be feeling even more magnificent in the upcoming weeks... especially seeing how freeking expensive vitamins are... you would think that since this crap is raked from the ground it would be, I don't know, dirt cheap. Well, it's not.
Before I say goodnight, there has been something else on my mind that I need to get out there. We, as females, need a movement. This movement will be called "Let's Wash Our Hands BEFORE We Pee". I don't understand the whole notion of washing our hands after we pee. Why? Well, I don't know about other women in the world, but after I pee, the only thing that my hand is touching is toilet paper. I don't get how this could go any other way. However, I could tell you about 100 dirty things that I touch BEFORE I pee (such as a keyboard, the handle to get into the bathroom, a pen, my shoes, random "high fives" with co-workers - not that I know their dirty, but it's a maybe). This would make one think that if we touch all these bacterial-filled dirty things before we pee, we then touch the toilet paper with the same dirty hands, to then proceed with our post-pee ritual, only to have touched the toilet paper. My resolve? Wash hands before said pee, and hey, if you so feel like it, wash after as well. Just a thought...
Saturday, October 24, 2009
Freerice.com - I officially donated 500 grains of rice putting a small dent in my 100,000 grain goal. It's small, but it's a start =)
Read 100 books - ok, this one was kind of a cheat because I started reading the book before today which is my start date. But what the hell, I did finish it today and it was a great book so I am including it. My list, my rules. The book is called The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel, and it was fabulous! Summary - A story about a rebellious Chinese princess who refuses to accept the subservient role that early 20th Chinese society requests of her. The heroine, Eastern Jewel, is the daughter of Chinese Prince Su's last concubine. Her early sexual curiosity got her into trouble and at the age of eight, her father banished her to Tokyo, Japan. At first she stayed with distant relatives. She grows to love Japan, but her trouble making results in an arranged, loveless marriage to a rough and freezing Mongolia. Bewildered and isolated, she has experiences disturbing fantasies. Conflicted by her desire for a strong father image as well as rejection of traditional subservience of women, she devotes herself to more dangerous adventures and hedonism. Armed with boldness and rebellious spirit, she escapes Mongolia for Shanghai and wraps herself in the luxuries provided to her by rich and powerful but dangerous lovers. Eventually she gets caught up in the world of Japanese spies and sexual manipulations. Self-discovery comes later with a very high-price. This story provides an interesting insight into Japan and China between the 1920s and 1930s, with the opium dens, luxurious and exciting parties, mysterious disappearance of the losers, and the powerful is king. Eastern Jewel is an intriguing and complicated heroine, fallible, selfish, but also intoxicating. Racy and seductive, it is a historical fiction at its best.
26 Random movies for A through Z - I have "D" crossed off my list after watching "Donkey Skin" which is a French fairytale shown with english subtitles. I received this movie from Netflix, and to be honest, I never remember putting it in my queue which is strange. I tried to watch it the other night, but fell asleep - so I watched it today. At first the movie comes off as very hokey - very Rogers and Hammerstein (see Cinderella). Not only does it come off as hokey, but really strange as the bottom line is this princess is trying to escape her father's attempts to marry her to produce a male heir. Here's a summary:
Blah blah blah. It was ok. I would give it a C and could definately go the rest of my life not seeing it again. Although I am happy that I watched it.
Overall I found today to be a pretty productive day and it would have been a GREAT day had I not just gone out to my car a little while ago and found that it will not start... >=(
Troyskis has promised that he can fix it tomorrow as he thinks it is only the battery, but still. You forget how bad it is not to have a working car until it happens. Frig. Yeah, yeah, things could be worse and I know that, I am just annoyed.
Well, Malichai is giving the "pet me and layyyy with me" eyes... and it's too tempting to pass up. Until next time... Stay classy San Diego. HA!
Thursday, October 22, 2009
The Mission: Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.
The Criteria: Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).
Why 1001 Days? Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
Key - Task waiting to be completed
Task in the process of completion
Start Date - Saturday, October 24, 2009
End Date - Saturday, July 21, 2012
Me, Myself and I… (the semi-selfish portion of my tasks)
1. Send in one of my postsecrets to postsecret.blogspot.com
2. Get a massage
3. Get a pedicure
4. Do a body "cleanse"
5. Have my tattoo touched up
6. Don’t swear for a whole day (this one is going to be TOUGH)
7. Get a scooter (and pretend it’s to “be green”, and not simply that scooters are amazing)
8. Save $2 a day during this 1001 days and do something amazing with it (14/2002)
9. Get a PO box at the post office
10. Do the 5000 question survey at 5000questionsur.livejournal.com (0/5000)
11. Pay off my last credit card (0/2000)
12. Buy 20 scratch tickets and only scratch them once I have all 20 (0/20)
13. Watch a horror movie and get over it (1/21/10)
14. Get a bikini wax (AHHHHHHHHH!!!! KELLY CLARKSON!!!)
15. Buy a nice, proper, pair of pajamas and give Troyskis back his gross sweats ;) (12/27/09)
16. Get my salary up to what I want or get another job
17. Get on birth control for Christ’s sakes!!
18. Do a hair mask wrap thing (in order to tame the squirrel’s nest) (10/26/09)
19. Go out of my way to make plans with one friend a month that I haven’t seen in ages
20. Spend an entire day on the beach and relax
21. Buy a new(er) car… and make it a standard!!
22. Try 10 new recipes (3/10) (BBQ Pork Ribs) (Mexican Pizza) (Corned Beef and Cabbage)
23. Finish the scrapbook for Troyskis and I
24. Start the scrapbook for my family
25. Finish the scrapbook for my friends
26. Find my own perfect LBD
27. Whiten my teeth
28. Private... Schedule at least one consultation for... this one is private and stop trying to be sneaky and read it. HAHAHAHA just kidding =)
29. Try a martini… shaken, not stirred =)
Family and Friends…
30. Make my mom that cracked corn thing that I promised her for Christmas last year
31. Call my mom at least once a week for a month (3/4)
32. Call my dad at least once a week for a month (4/4)
33. Call my brother at least once a week for a month (4/4)
34. Go visit my damn old dog once a week for a month (3/4)
35. Send Christmas cards (10/25/09 - purchased cards on snapfish.com)
36. Make cookies and mail some to my mom dad and brother
37. Continue my tradition with my brother of spending a day together for his birthday (0/3)
38. Get information about how to get Malichai to gain weight and do it
39. Bring Ace to the beach (at least one more time) = /
Others and strangers…
40. Donate 100,000 grains of rice on freerice.com (7,500/100,000)
41. Give 100 compliments (0/100)
42. Send that thank you note I’ve been meaning to send for two years
43. Write an uplifting message in a public bathroom
44. Leave 50 nice post-its for strangers to find (0/50)
45. Donate $5 for every uncompleted task to a charity
46. Prepare and send 5 care packages for the soldiers overseas (0/5)
47. Throw a message in a bottle into the ocean
48. Pay for the person behind me at a drive through
49. Donate all my clothes that I haven’t worn in over 3 months (not seasonal)
50. Update Troyskis’ wardrobe, get rid of his old clothes and donate anything nice to charity
51. Go to the library 10 times and leave nice notes in the books (0/10)
Travel and Adventure!!
52. Go geocaching and find 10 geocaches (0/10)
53. Spend a day on a farm and go apple picking and through a corn maze and hayride
54. Go through a haunted house
55. Go for an all day hike
56. Go to Hong Kong with my Troyskis (2/22/10 through 3/1/10)
57. Go skiing/snowboarding at least three times (0/3)
58. Ride a roller coaster (its been yeeears =( )
59. Ride a mechanical bull at a filthy ridiculous bar
60. Do nakie where we can get caught ;)
61. Go horseback riding… beach and black stallion not required
62. Have Troyskis teach me how to use, shoot and clean a gun
63. Have Troyskis teach me how to ride a motorcycle
64. Go to the zoo… and spend time with the bats to get over them =)
65. Go to a professional sporting event (that is not the Red Sox)
66. Go camping in the wilderness (no “camp grounds”)
67. Plan a surprise get-away for me and Troyskis (after we are settled in the house)
68. Read 100 books (3/100)
The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel (10/24/09)
The Kitchen God's Wife (11/14/09)
The Concubine's Daughter (12/3/09)
69. Buy a guitar and learn five songs (0/5)
70. Send 10 postcards via postcrossing.com (0/10)
71. Send 10 books via bookcrossing.com (1/10)
The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel - Released "in the wild" (10/26/09)
72. Beat Troyskis and Bob at F1 Boston Racing… hands down…
73. Watch 26 random movies, one for each letter of the alphabet (14/26)
B – Boys Don’t Cry – Whew. This one was a doozy. And the rape scene was so intense I had to shut it off for a while before resuming. Regardless of the ruthless violence and the incomparable uncomfortableness that reeks from this film, it was incredible… and I figure if a film can make me have such strong feelings, be them good or bad, it must be good.
C - The Cat Returns - Japanese Animation film that was absolutely adorable and I loved it immensely. I give it an A (10/26/09)
D - Donkey Skin - French fairytale with English subtitles. Very "Rogers & Hammerstein"/Cinderella. Overall I give it a C. (10/24/09)
E – Elizabeth – Allllright, yeah, I had already seen this film, HOWEVER – I don’t count it because I was young and didn’t fully understand the plot as I do now as a slightly more educated adult. Highly entertaining time piece and I loved it!!
G - G.I. Joe - I don't really have to explain this one, do I? Meh - I give it a C... for CHEESY (10/30/09 )
J- Ju Dou – A terrific Chinese tragedy (lol not funny haha double negative oxymoron). Story: A woman gets married off to a violent, brutal, and infertile owner of a dye mill in rural China. She ends up conceiving a son with her husband's nephew, but is forced to raise her son as her husband's heir without revealing who his real father is. Great film as long as you can get past the fact that it was made in 1990 which means it is ANCIENT. Lol (in Chinese with subtitles).
K - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Pretty darn good murder mystery with some hard laughs. Me likey, give it a B (11/16/09)
M – Magdelene Sisters – A film about four women who are forced into the Magdelene Asylum for young women in Ireland mid 60’s. The asylum was run like a prison and the girls were treated like inmates and not allowed to leave as this was the place where “fallen” women were sent. Upon realizing how incredibly corrupt this place is and how brutal the women in charge could be, and upon discovering what one of the popes were doing, the four young women decide to break out. Based on a true story (my favorites =)
N – Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind – Cute little anime flick that was super creative and awesome and I am getting lazy with typing so whatever.
O – Obsessed – I was psyched for this film, but, fuckin’ A, Beyonce and blonde lady from Heros! It was terrible. Terrible. Buh. Gag.
P - The Proposal - Midly humerous and cute - glad I watched it, but probably not again. It gets a C+ (11/20/09)
R – Raise the Red Lantern - After her father's death, nineteen year old Songlian is forced to marry Chen Zuoqian, the lord of a powerful family. Fifty year old Chen has already three wives, each of them living in separate houses within the great castle. The competition between the wives is tough, as their master's attention carries power, status and privilege. Each night Chen must decide with which wife to spend the night and a red lantern is lit in front of the house of his choice. And each wife schemes and plots to make sure it's hers. However, things get out of hand. LOVED IT!! (in Chinese with subtitles).
S - The Snow Queen - Sweet but childish and a little strange. I give it a C- (11/24/09)
T - Tsosti - In Johannesburg, the small time criminal Tsotsi is a teenager without feelings, hardened by his tough life. After killing a man with his gang in a robbery; hitting the gangster Boston of his gang; humiliating a crippled beggar along one night, Tsotsi hijacks a car and under the despair of a woman, he shoots her in the stomach. While driving the car, Tsotsi finds that there is a baby on the back seat and the woman was a desperate mother. He brings the baby to his house in the slum and becomes attached to him. For six days, the baby changes his behavior, arousing and developing the sense of empathy and humanity in the cold blood killer. (in South African with subtitles).
74. Go bowling and master a signature technique (that is not throwing the ball from between my legs using my “vagina laser” that was so femininely and discreetly thought of after 8 beers last time I went bowling)
75. Go to another Imax movie
76. Read 10 books from the list of “100 books that should be read before you die” (0/10)
77. Play blackjack at a real casino
78. Make a piece of jewelry (for me and my favorites – and when we combine we can form CAPTAIN PLANET!!! hahaha)
79. Go to Thompson's Speedway and have adult beverages and a smashing good time =)
80. Read all the Harry Potter books (0/7)
Health and Wellbeing
81. Quit smoking
82. Lose 20 pounds and don’t put more than 5 back on ;) (0/20)
83. Work up a sweat four times a week for a month (0/16)
84. Go vegetarian for two weeks (0/2)
85. Take a poll dancing or belly dancing class
86. Buy a Monday – Friday pill case and start taking daily vitamins (10/25/09 - purchased case)
New House!!! (Tasks to do once we have moved in!! Approx. Jan. 2010)
87. Plant my first garden
88. Build a fort with Troyskis... preferably a tree fort
89. Have a housewarming party and have all my friends finally meet Troy and his friends
90. Plant a tree
91. Buy something amazing at IKEA and assemble it myself
92. Host a game board night
93. Host a wine and cheese night
94. Make my first official thanksgiving dinner
95. Build a snowman
96. Make our new house feel like home
97. 3 times in one day… in 3 different rooms… on 3 separate occasions ;) (log attempts without telling him =) (0/3 0/3 0/3)
98. Spend a weekend naked in the new house… just because I can
99. Create three paintings to decorate the new house with (0/3)
100. Take photos of all possible completed tasks
101. Make another 101 list before the 1001 days are up